Finding Inspiration

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

One of the biggest things we all struggle with is finding the motivation to get things done. Procrastination is almost an epidemic-if only they taught me how to treat that at med school! Sadly, there is no magic pill or wonder cure for procrastination. Why do we all waste days away on non-important tasks that won't mean a thing in a year, at the expense of not having time for and poorly completing tasks that are essential for our success?

Life is going to be full of tasks that you don't particularly want to do. Going to the dentist, writing applications, doing assignments-these kind of tasks may be boring, time consuming or just no fun, but they are essential for becoming happy, healthy, and successful, no matter what you plan to do with your life. My advice here-just suck it up and get it done. You will be glad you did. Getting these things done before they are urgent is the key to decreasing your stress levels and leading a life that you are completely in control of.


"But it's not that simple!" I hear you cry. I'll be the first to admit that simply trying to force yourself into working isn't always effective. So with that in mind, here are my main tips for finding the inspiration to get the best out of your life, right here, right now.



1. Recognise that the power to change your life is in your hands



At any given moment, you can make a decision to change your life. This may sound like stating the obvious, you may have heard it hundreds of times before, but have you truly considered its implications in your own life? 

In the next five minutes, you could tell someone what you have always wanted to tell them. In the next hour, you could have signed up for the course or class of your dreams or booked a flight to a country you've never seen before. And by tomorrow-you could be stepping of the plane into a new adventure or taking your first steps towards achieving a lifelong dream. In a week, your life could be unrecognisable.


Don't let fear hold you back. Chase the dreams that set your heart on fire. Your life is what you make of it. 






2. Dare to believe in yourself



 This is a real biggie for me. In a course like medicine, where most students were top of their respective classes in high school and all appeared to be exceedingly clever, I have always struggled with feeling that I was not good enough to be among them. In my first semester, despite working harder than I ever thought I could, my results were not good and I was asked to sit supplementary examinations. This shook the small amount of confidence I had terribly. 

However, in my second semester, I made a change. I decided that I was not going down without a damn good fight and started to think some new ideas. They had let me into the course because they believed I had what it took to complete this degree. I worked incredibly hard over that semester and began to stop comparing myself to everyone else. Soon, without the pain of comparison dragging me down, I began to understand more and more of the work. And you know what-when results were released at the end of the year, I was above average! I had done better than the majority of my ridiculously smart peers because I had worked for it. The inspiration for all that hard work came because I finally believed in myself. 


Trust your brains and your heart. You can achieve anything if you just believe you can.


3. Decide what you're living for

Sit down for a minute and ask yourself-what do I want to achieve this for? From the smallest to the biggest tasks, you will never find the inspiration to get them done if you don't know what you're doing it for.
As an example, during my second semester, I sat myself down with a pen and paper and wrote down everything I could think of that made doing well important to me. This ranged from making my family and myself proud and becoming an amazing doctor, to being able to impress doctors with my knowledge whilst I was on placement and telling myself that I would have to learn this at some point-why not now?

The other key to this point is to remind yourself of these reasons. Put them on the wall in front of your desk, in your diary, on your phone, anywhere that is easily accessible. It is very easy to lose track of the bigger picture and what all this work is going towards-so make sure to remind yourself regularly of exactly what you're in this for. This is vital for many tasks, whether it be achieving good results, losing weight, or saving money. Reminding yourself why you're doing it is the key to sticking to your plan and succeeding.


I hope this has helped you all to find your own inspiration and I haven't rambled too much! Let me know what you think.

Kate x

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I absolutely LOVED this post! :) I agree with all of these things & I think especially number three is something very important to be aware of. Sometimes when I feel totally unmotivated to do school work or whatever it is I have to do I always have to remind myself of why I'm doing it & that it will all pay off in the long run.

    Hope you're having a lovely day x

    Sara / aboutlittlethiings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks so much for your lovely comment Sara! I'm so glad you enjoyed this post! Hope you're having an absolutely lovely day as well xx

    ReplyDelete